Daily Puzzle Gazette

(That’s what this blog seems to be turning into, so I might as well go with it.)

I think I’ve done everything I’m supposed to do with today’s Tanga, but I still don’t have an answer. Aggravating…

San Jose Semaphore is an art installation by Ben Rubin… and it’s also a puzzle. He’s inviting all comers to try to break the code. I love big, public puzzles, even when I can’t solve ‘em.

Speaking of big, public puzzles, I’ll be in Florida this weekend for the Herald Hunt, a huge-ass puzzle event organized and run by the humor columnist Dave Barry. I’ve participated in this a few times before, and it’s always a blast. 10,000 or more people running around trying to solve puzzles! This is what the world should be like!

The Herald Hunt puzzles are usually all over the map in terms of quality and elegance, but the good ones always make up for the shaky ones. The puzzles are also literally all over the map, so I expect to be doing a whole lotta walking under the hot Florida sun. It’ll be exhausting, but a whole lot of fun. Expect a full report next week.

(Dave Barry notes that there is a Herald Hunt preview puzzle on the Miami Herald Web site.)

1. Posted October 27, 2006 at 9:47 am | Permalink

Someday, I want to try the Herald Hunt. It’s always sounded like fun.

2. Posted October 27, 2006 at 9:59 am | Permalink

A *full* report? Geez, back to the dusting …

3. Posted October 27, 2006 at 10:13 am | Permalink

Heh. “It was strange crashing at Trip Payne’s place. After a while I figured out why: There wasn’t any dust around, and I’m used to plenty.”

4. becky
    Posted October 27, 2006 at 10:51 am | Permalink

Dog-gone-it, Eric, just apply the code.

5. Posted October 27, 2006 at 11:49 am | Permalink

Oh, I’ve got it now. I had everything right except for one eensy little matter: I entered the answers one after another reading across, instead of one answer per column. Duh.

6. Posted October 27, 2006 at 1:25 pm | Permalink

I’m so confused. I went to the Herald Hunt website, and Dave Barry’s blog post, and I can’t find any link to the preview puzzle. What do I do???