Spaghetti #4

In linking to yesterday’s post from Facebook, I put forth the opinion that Spaghetti #3’s words were easier than usual. What I might have been basing this on, I cannot say — in point of fact, I have not yet tried to match you amazing people at turning these random words into clever puzzles. But it turns out yesterday’s words were not easy at all. I had a couple of people IM me directly to say so: “I wanted to contribute something, but, whoa — I’ve got nothing.”

This makes the answers we received all the more impressive. Katherine Bryant had the most-liked comment, with a discovery that you could take consecutive letters from each word and match them to consecutive letters from a particular star. Ucaoimhu once again makes me think I accidentally posted an actual metapuzzle. And Golem clearly takes the highly coveted Rube Goldberg Award for Excessive Convolution. The final step of his solution made me laugh.

Time for Day Four of this madness…

PLAYING CARD
MILITARISM
INSTATE
PINS AND NEEDLES
CONFOUND

Good luck!

1. Dan Katz
    Posted October 4, 2012 at 11:21 am | Permalink

This is my first foray into this game, but I’m pretty confident the answer to the puzzle is BALLOONS.

First we replace the words with the words they’re clearly cluing:

ACE
    WAR ARMS
    NEAR
    UNEASE
    AWE

Which all notably rhyme with a body part:

FACE
    FOREARMS
    EAR
    KNEES
    JAW

Rearranging the first letters gives JEFF K. One of the more prominent JEFF K’s is Jeff Koons, an artist known for balloon animal sculptures. Since BALLOONS rhymes with Koons, it’s clearly the highly elegant final answer to this round.

2. Andrew (530nm330Hz) Greene
    Posted October 4, 2012 at 12:07 pm | Permalink

This is too easy, even if it’s incomplete.

Ordering the words by length, and taking the first letters (and assuming that there are a few puzzles in the round that haven’t been solved yet), you get the pattern

_ I C _ M P _ _ P

The only word that matches this pattern is NICOMPOOP, found in Chambers as a variant of NINCOMPOOP

3. Todd Etter
    Posted October 4, 2012 at 1:31 pm | Permalink

The words scream cryptic clue, and indeed you can rearrange the words to make the &lit cryptic clue:

Playing card, pins and needles in state confound militarism!

Playing card = MENU, pins and needles = STRAIN, state = KT.

So we have K(MENU + STRAIN)T confounded (i.e. anagram) to get the answer of TURKMENISTAN which is certainly a region on pins and needles due to in state militarism.

4. JanglerNPL
    Posted October 4, 2012 at 1:57 pm | Permalink

Er…how does KT = “state”?

5. Todd Etter
    Posted October 4, 2012 at 2:12 pm | Permalink

Ooops…. :) Had an error in that one. Transcribed it wrong.

6. Andrew (530nm330Hz) Greene
    Posted October 4, 2012 at 2:46 pm | Permalink

(I should clarify on mine: the location of the blanks is not arbitrary but is based on the missing lengths of the given answer words. That is, the words we were given were of lengths 7, 8, 10, 11, and 14; I put blanks at 6, 9, 12, and 13.)

7. Mark Halpin
    Posted October 4, 2012 at 8:07 pm | Permalink

Jangler: we here in Kentucky have recently voted to change the state postal abbreviation from KY to KT, because we’re all frankly a little sick of the lube jokes. So I think Todd is OK.

8. Posted October 5, 2012 at 12:09 am | Permalink

PINS AND NEEDLES here hints at what to do with the other four words; each contains a three-letter word that is part of a common expression of the form “X and Y”. In order of increasing length, we have INSTATE -> OUTS, CONFOUND -> PRO, MILITARISM -> FEATHER, and PLAYING CARD -> YANG. If these “other halves” are stacked up, you can see that the second column spells out UREA; to get the final answer, you then observe that there is another X and Y phrase (with lengths 4 and 7, just like PINS AND NEEDLES) whose parts are impure solutions of, respectively, UREA and ACETIC ACID.